Through the generous support of the VIA community and several partner organizations, including Keio University, Kyoto University, and the Enlight Foundation, VIA is able to offer $1000-2000 scholarships to several program participants each year. These scholarships are intended to support students who have a financial need; but they are also intended to support students who are committed to taking an active role in building an international community committed to social change.
We are looking for candidates who are:
- Highly motivated and have demonstrated interest in social issues
- Proactive and seeking to develop their skills to pursue a personal project or work
- Self-aware and looking to expand their horizons
Depending on the scholarship and your program, you will have the chance to demonstrate the knowledge and skills you gained during your VIA experience through some kind of project. You may be asked to submit a reflection essay, do a presentation or hold a workshop in your community, or work on a project with the program alumni community. You will have the opportunity to discuss the project with the program director during your interview and, if accepted, during the program.
Tips for Creating Your Application Video
Storytelling is a powerful tool that helps people better understand your personal experiences and perspective on world issues. There are many ways to tell your story and one of them is through video. You are required to submit a video for the scholarship application because it will give our team a chance to see you and hear from your own voice. We have some provided some simple steps below to help get you started. Do not worry if you are not an expert in video production or editing. Please remember this is a time for you to be creative and express yourself.
- Plan for the Video: Think through what materials you need and where you will shoot the video. Making a video would enhance your answers to your questions and better tell your story. This is an opportunity to explore your purpose of participating in the program. We are eager to hear directly from you and we encourage for you to film yourself talking and sharing your story. You can also use images, photos, diagrams and music. Seeing you and hearing your voice for at least part of the video is strongly preferred.
- Create & Edit Your Video: You can use a camera on your phone, your computer, or more professional video cameras if you wish. You can edit using any software from iMovie to FinalCut. Here is a list of other free video editing software you can download. It could be helpful to ask for comments from friends or family while you are creating and editing your video to make sure your message is clear.
- Submit Program Application: Upload your video to YouTube, Vimeo, Wistia or any other platform. There is a space in the program application for you to copy/paste your video link.
Scholarship for Keio University Students
If you are applying from Keio University, you have an opportunity to receive a 200,000 yen scholarship from Keio as part of their 未来先導基金 to join VIA’s social innovation and leadership programs. When you submit your online application to VIA, please also send a 1-page essay in Japanese describing 1) why you want to join VIA’s program, and 2) what you hope to a accomplish to Professor Ken Ito at firstname.lastname@example.org.
There are many scholarships offered by other institutions and government agencies that support education abroad. Please explore your options – there are many ways to fund your international education experience.
- Japan – JASSO http://www.jasso.go.jp/ryugaku/study_a/scholarship.html
- Japan – MEXT http://www.tobitate.mext.go.jp/
- Hong Kong – IIE http://www.iie.org/en/Offices/Hong-Kong/Scholarships-Programs#.WNQzFo61veQ