VIA’s Vision for this Role
To support and train future changemaker educators who will prepare the next generation of creative and effective innovators working towards a more fair and flourishing world.
About the Position
The Coordinators will plan and facilitate recruitment of future changemakers in their home regions, be the primary contact for participants their region, be a leader and mentor during the social innovation program this summer, and maintain connections with VIA alumni. This position is an opportunity for VIA alumni to develop professional recruitment, leadership, changemaker training and presentation skills through program orientation and facilitation. The Coordinators will be key in promoting VIA’s social innovation programs in Japan, mainland China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Thailand, and Myanmar. They will provide support to participants in learning key concepts, and developing a community before, during, and after the program. Coordinators will also receive training on facilitation skills as well as feedback to help them improve their own training ability.
- March 8 (Asia Time): Application deadline
- March 10-12 (Asia Time): Skype interviews with Yi Zhang, Social Innovation Programs Director.
- By March 17: Successful applicants will be notified of their acceptance to the position no later than this date.
- Late March: Orientation meeting for participant recruitment and continued weekly or biweekly checkins for participant recruitment.
- Starting from June: Weekly or biweekly meetings for program planning and facilitator training.
- Strong organizational skills; ability to work independently and in a team
- Ability to serve as effective bridge between program participants and VIA staff during the program
- Experience with past VIA programs and dedication to program goals
- An interest in training and supporting future changemakers
- Strong interest and/or experience working with social issues/social entrepreneurship in Asia
- Comfortable discussing complex issues in English; willing to promote use of English during program
- Background in PR and event management; experience with social media and promotional tools
- Before the program:
- Support recruiting participants from Japan, China/Taiwan/Hong Kong/Macau, Myanmar, and Thailand
- Plan some program activities, including energizers, presentations, and workshops
- During the program:
- Assist with program logistics (coordinating transportation, for example)
- Observe participants and collect feedback through discussions and reflection sessions
- Lead / co-lead energizers and some workshop activities
- Provide support for participants
- Act as a bridge between VIA staff and participants
- Document and post program activities and experiences (photos, videos, social media)
- After the program:
- Help improve the design of some workshops and the whole program
- Connect ESI participants with the VIA alumni community in your region
- April – May: Assist with participant recruitment (online & in-person at local info sessions)
- June – Early August: Assist with program planning and pre-departure preparations (online)
- 4 days before the program: Arrive in San Francisco for staff training & in-person preparation
- August 12-22, 2020: Facilitate ESI Program
- Late August: Assist with program wrap-up